Cooking RED to Remember

November 30, 2009 by Joan Nova in Blogging, Pasta | 22 Comments

When Angela of Spinach Tiger asked me, ever so gently, if I would join her and ‘cook red‘ for December 1 in support and remembrance of World Aids Day, I was honored to do so. Spinach Tiger is one of my favorite blogs and Angela is one of my favorite bloggers. While I’m keenly sympathetic to the devastation Aids has cast on millions of people, I, thankfully, have not been personally touched by it. But, Angela has and she bravely shares her story on her blog.

Here’s the delicious pasta dish I created with six red ingredients I found in my kitchen…

Red Ingredients

• sweet red bell peppers thinly cut and sauteed
  • fresh tomatoes diced
  • 1/2 cup of pasta sauce (leftover/prepared)
  • red pepper flakes
  • crumbled bacon (it’s red-ish)
  • red wine for drinking with the meal :) (I prefer Malbec)

Additional (non-red) items

• minced onion + garlic to taste
  • bucatini pasta
  • olive oil
  • parmesan cheese
  • lemon
  • my special bread crumb topping

The sauce was made by sauteing the red peppers, onion, garlic, crumbled bacon and diced tomatoes in olive oil seasoned with red pepper flakes, S+P. When the vegetables started to soften, I added the pasta sauce to finish it and tossed it with the bucatini.

Finishing Touch. As you know, I love finishing touches and I went a little off the ‘red’ theme with these, but they really made the dish sing!

1. I added  a generous sprinkle of bread crumb topping which I make by toasting 2-to-1 mixture of panko crumbs and ground almonds, garlic, S+P in a skillet.
  2. Parmesan cheese.
  3. Another sprinkle of red pepper flakes.
  4. Lemon juice [Note: If you add a drizzle of fresh lemon juice over the top, it adds a fresh acidic component  to the sweet sauce and the savory bread topping.]

This was so delicious…and I sooooo overate!

I’m pleased to participate in this day of remembrance in support of Angela and all the families who have been touched by this awful disease.

Angela will be posting a round-up of all the red dishes on Spinach Tiger, December 8.

1. Liz says:

Looks great! And what a worthy cause.

2. Norma says:

I woke up this morning in the mood for pasta. Guess what I am making…It looks so good.

3. Thanks for the delicious reminder of World Aids Day Joan. It is something we all need to be aware of.

4. Looks delicious Joan! and for a great cause… I too am into Malbecs lately.

5. Joan, the bacon is a nice surprise. You too are one of my favorites and you can cook! I just bought a malbec saturday. It’s been a while and I was re-reminded. I love food blogging because it’s a beautiful way to share life together. You’ve made my day!

6. redkathy says:

Great pasta recipe Joan. I have a niece who’s Uncle is in the final stage of life now, Aides complications. It’s a terrible disease that we all need to continue to support the fight against! Bless you for this post ♥

7. Peter G says:

Wonderful Joan! Definitely a dish I would recreate especially with that finishing touch! And a great contribution for “cooking red”.

8. Gloria says:

Look wonderful Joan, yummy recipe, gloria

9. Arlene says:

Looks delicious and what a wonderful way to draw attention to this still devastating disease.

Great pasta Joan. I am so happy you are here to help raise awareness about this on going tragedy. GREG

11. Núria says:

Buenísimo Joan! Great contribution to Angela’s Event. The pasta looks delicious, colourful and supertasty.

12. Dorothy says:

Good to eat, good to look at and for remembering a good cause. Great!

13. love that you added the bread crumbs – just gives it that extra textural touch. and for a good cause, too.

14. Erica says:

What a great cause! That looks delicious, Joan!

Simple, gorgeous and it contains one of favourite ingredients…roasted red peppers!

16. Lele says:

That is soooooooooo luscious looking! What a great way of supporting a good cause.

17. This looks delicious Joan, all of those wonderful ingredients (I could eat it for breakfast.)

Good for you for participating, you did a fine job!

18. love the colors!!! looks good. Joan I love ur family foodfight banner, cracks me up!

19. Chaya says:

Time, for me, to cook red. Off to think it out.

1. […] Foodalogue: USA Joan of Foodalogue: Pasta with Red Pepper […]

2. […] My friend, Angela of the beautiful Spinach Tiger blog, lost a brother and a very close cousin to the scourge of Aids. She wrote an exquisite and heartfelt piece (read post) about why she started ‘cooking red to remember‘ for World Aids Day (December 1) in 2009 when I first participated with a pasta and red pepper dish. […]