Rosemary Grilled Shrimp + Mediterranean “Loaded” Potatoes

October 9, 2009 by Joan Nova in Seafood, Vegetables | 17 Comments

This dinner was so good, I’m compelled to break my rhythm of 1-2 posts per week and publish this immediately before I forget what I did. I must tell you from the onset that potatoes have not have been something you’re likely to find in the FOODalogue larder. I like them but somewhere along the line, I heard that they were loaded with sugar and that made them verbotten. I preferred to get my carbs from pasta. I may have been mistaken. There are nutrients and benefits to eating the occasional potato. And, I find it’s easier to control portion size with  1 potato than it is with pasta. The fact is I only ate half of this potato and am looking forward to cooking it up with an egg tomorrow morning.

The Mediterranean “Loaded” Potato

This would be my take on a healthier and, to me, more tasty version of the ‘loaded’ potato which is usually laden with cheese, bacon and sour cream. Instead, I made slices and rubbed the potato with olive oil and a generous amount of salt.

While it was baking, I quickly sauteed spinach, garlic, sun-dried tomatoes and a few marinated artichoke leaves. When the potato was cooked, I stuffed the slots and an added a little dab of Manouri Greek cheese on top and put it back in the oven for a few minutes to warm the cheese.

Rosemary-Skewered Grilled Shrimp
Grilled Rosemary Shrimp + Herb Pesto

The shrimp were simply rubbed with a little olive oil and salt, skewered on the rosemary stalk, and briefly grilled on high heat.

Herbed Pesto

Herbed Pesto
  • 2 cups mixed herbs (basil, mint, parsley)
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • 1/4-1/2 cup of walnuts
  • juice of half-lemon
  • dash of salt
  • dash of red pepper flakes
  • dash of chicken stock
  • olive oil

Once again, this was an unplanned menu that turned out great. Sorry you couldn’t be here to eat it with me, but I hope you enjoy the post.

Bwahahahaha…devlishly delicious BBQ spread…the shrimp are killer!

2. Peter G says:

Yes the shrimp are great but what a great idea fr the potatoes! I must use this in my Xmas recipes for the up and coming festive season!

• Joan says:

Ah, my 2 Peters…glad you both liked the post. I think you can see I was very enthusiastic about the outcome. Peter G — yes, I could see a tray of those potatoes on the groaning board. They’re quite festive looking.

3. Liz says:

Joni – Shrimps look great, but the star is the potato. How creative, terrific looking and more nutritious than the other ‘loaded’ baked potato. Thanks.

4. What a gorgeous meal. I’ve never seen a more beautiful potato and shrimp is always a winner with me. Your presentation is stunning. I’m bookmarking this.

5. Erica says:

Wow!What a beautiful meal Joan!Those potatoes look fantastic and the shrimp with the pest herb look wonderful. I am printing this one:)

6. Buela says:

I can’t wait to serve those potatoes they are just so original and beautiful to look at.

7. Joan, these are the most cleverest potatoes I’ve ever seen.

8. BEKKY says:

I LOVE POTATOES SUGAR,STARCH,AND EVERYTHING THAT’S IN THEM.I’M GOING OUT TO GET THE INGREDIENTS RIGHT NOW! I’M ALREADY DROOLING AT THE MOUTH.

9. The potato looks amazing! and the shrimps…yum…

Well lady you did it again. What a hot potato…..orgasmic…..i am drooling…..

11. redkathy says:

Oh my gosh, I love the potato idea. What a heavenly combination. They look just fabulous Joan!

12. delicious. but you got me at the with eggs for breakkie part. yum

13. Love both recipes Joan. Definitely keepers.

14. Arlene says:

That potato is a meal! Wish I could join you for breakfast. You have the central character for a dynamite frittata.

15. Ivy says:

I love shrimps but those potatoes are to die for. I have all the ingredients except the artichoke leaves and I am definitely going to make them.

16. Kaarina says:

That potato is amazing looking- what a way to spice up a boring looking vegetable! It is almost looking sassy :)

Thank you for all your great recipes… so helpful for those of us who need other to help us get in the kitchen and cook.