Plantain Salsa with Citrus Vinaigrette

September 9, 2009 by Joan Nova in Mexican + Southwestern, Nuevo Latino | 14 Comments

Yellow rice and black beans are yummy in the tummy…but try adding plantain salsa made with a citrus vinaigrette for a new and brighter taste. It’s rice, beans and sweet plantains with an updated twist — and the fact is it was born out of leftover plantains made the traditional way.

It’s also good with grilled chicken, pork chops, over fried fish, in a ceviche, and alongside a grilled steak that has been drizzled with chimichurri sauce. Oh hell…just grab a tortilla chip and dig in!

Ingredients: Maduros (ripe yellow plantain), red onion, red pepper, scallions, cilantro, zest and juice of a lime, lemon and orange, S+P, olive oil, a dash of hot sauce and a drizzle of honey to balance the acidity of the citrus.
Method: Peel and slice the plantain in planks lengthwise. (Fry or bake – I chose to bake to save a few calories.) Remove from oven and cool. Meantime, finely chop red onion, red pepper, scallions and a good handful cilantro and place in bowl. Zest and juice all 3 citrus fruits and add to the bowl with the minced vegetables. Add S+P to taste, olive oil, a dash of hot sauce, and a drizzle of honey. Cut plantains into small pieces and add to salsa. Allowing the salsa to sit for a while (even overnight) enhances the melding of flavors.

I’m sending a heaping spoonful of this over to Ben at What’s Cooking? for his ‘home-made salsa event’.

1. maria says:

Beautiful dish Joan. Among my favorite flavor profiles and your presentation is gorgeous. I love the site updates–it’s been a while since I’ve been online and just got around to seeing your site and it looks great.

2. Núria says:

Uuuuuaaaauuuuu!!!! I can only say wow! What a change!!! I love the new design; so neat, clean and lightful!!! Que cambio Joan :D. I love it♥

Love your dish girl! and your pictures and the salsa… felicidades por el cambio… really nice :D

3. Love this dish Joan. It would give the poush I need to try plantains which I do see at the grocers this time of year.

4. Ben says:

Very nice! This salsa deserves a prominent place on my salsa parade :D Sweet and spicy salsas are the best.

5. I love the idea of plantain salsa, sounds perfect with rice & black beans!

6. elly says:

Wow, this looks delicious! I am always on the lookout for new salsa recipes, and I am in love with plantains.

7. Ivy says:

What a lovely dish and so colourful. Great photos of this dish.

• Joan says:

I’m glad you thought ‘great photos’. Thanks! Tastespotting said ‘unflattering composition’ and foodgawker had ‘lighting/exposure’ issues. Grrrr!

8. elra says:

What a beautiful dish Joan. Love your photographs!

9. i think your photos have gotten quite nice, joan. i am not a giant fan of plantains, but this looks good.

10. nora@ffr says:

soo beautiful!! i love the combo :)

11. GREAT and creative addition to salsa w/ the maduros. i really love the idea!

12. Erica says:

I love, love, love plantains…..This is a great recipe. I must try it soon :)

1. […] Vieja (braised and shredded flank steak) served with black beans and plantain salsa (served in expresso coffee cups with cocktail […]