Eat Spaghetti and Save Calories and Carbs

June 18, 2009 by Joan Nova in Italian, Low Calorie, Pasta, Vegetables | 14 Comments

These 2 recipes with spaghetti squash will make you forget you’re eating a vegetable instead of pasta. Trust me…I am the Pasta Lover Queen and if I say this is a good substitute, you can take that to the bank. Make that the First National Calorie & Carb Savings Bank!

For anyone unfamiliar with spaghetti squash, it is generally available year round though it’s supposedly at its peak in the fall. While it doesn’t have a distinct taste, it does have texture and, therefore, can be subsituted for pasta, rice or other starches. Somewhat like tofu, it takes on the flavor of what you mix it with. It also somewhat reminds me of the experience you have if you ever ordered a combo plate of ribs and chicken at a barbeque place? Didn’t the chicken and ribs taste exactly the same? What about breading and frying? You basically taste the breading and frying. This is not that different, only healthier. It’s all about the preparation.

Spaghetti Pie
Ingredients
1/2 spaghetti squash (fork shredded)
handful or two of fresh spinach
a few calamata olives smashed and pitted
3 marinated artichoke hearts chopped
feta (small amount or to taste)
mozzarella (small amount or to taste)
sliced tomato

Bake whole, microwave or boil till fork tender. Halve and remove seeds and then begin shredding process with a fork (making spaghetti). Toss with a drizzle olive oil and 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning*. Layer half of the mixture into an oiled pan, top with spinach, artichokes, feta, top with remaining spaghetti squash, sliced tomatoes, olives and sprinkling of mozzarella. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

Serves 2 for dinner with a salad or other side, or 4 side dishes as a vegetable, or 1 hungry person (oops, did I say that?)

So we still have another half of the squash left and I just love this Spaghetti Trio. (I guess because it incorporates a little real pasta.)The Holy Trio: julienned zucchini, 1-2 ozs spaghetti per person, spaghetti squash. Boil spaghetti, drain and toss with spaghetti squash and zucchini in a skillet with sauce ingredients (below) to meld flavors.

The sauce: Mix olive oil, juice of a lemon, garlic, squeeze of tomato, anchovy, black olive pastes.

*Italian Seasoning: I’m loving this mixture of capers, olives and oregano that someone gave me as a gift.

Finishing Touch: Another sprinkle of Italian Seasoning, a dash of red pepper flakes, and grated Parmigiano Reggiano.

Here’s spaghetti squash in a Nuevo Latino way: camarones, spaghetti squash and black beans.

It’s a very versatile vegetable. Do you have any favorite recipes to share that include spaghetti squash?

1. redkathy says:

I'll take a double serving of that spaghetti pie please… Yummy!

2. natalia says:

Your spaghetti squash dishes look so delicious ! I wish I could find it here !

3. Abigail (aka Mamatouille) says:

Oh. my. WORD. Looks heavenly. Wish I could get spaghetti squash in Japan, but it will definitely be a treat when I go back to the States. I'm starring this in my Google Reader!

4. 5 Star Foodie says:

The pie with spaghetti squash looks excellent and I just love your clever idea of the spaghetti trio! Very nice!

5. Jeff says:

I came here to throw my support to everything squashish. Nicely done and I always forget about spaghetti squash too. Mostly though I always grab the butternut squash.

6. Ben says:

I'd never heard of spaghetti squash before, but if you recommend it then I'll have to look for it and try it. I need to keep off all the weight I am losing somehow :-p

It looks like a delicious meal altogether.

7. Bren says:

i am loving those tomatoes! and i'm not too too big on pasta, but i always find squash spaghetti to be a great sub…

8. angela@spinachtiger says:

Seriously looks delicious. Believe it or not I have never made spaghetti squash. The way you fixed it…I have to do this.

9. elly says:

I have always wanted to try spaghetti squash but haven't gotten around to it. This post makes me think about it all over again!

Great ideas there! I like both of these dishes. And you are too funny, the bbq chicken and ribs taste the same! Haha.

These two spaghetti dishes look delicious and that Italian flavoring with the olives capers and oregano looks so good too! Will have to look for that one.

12. Peter M says:

A gorgeous and delicious (healthy) pairing of the squash spag and the pasta. Have a wonderful holiday!

13. Margie says:

I'm a pasta lover also and always skeptical about claims that spaghetti squash can fill in for the real thing. But your spaghetti trio just might make me a believer. It looks amazing and I can't wait to try it out!