Grilled Vegetables – 3 Ways

May 25, 2009 by Joan Nova in Leftovers, Pasta, Vegetables | 12 Comments

Isn’t it great when you get invited somewhere and get to take a doggie bag home (assuming the food was worth carting away)?

I was invited to a lunch my son prepared over the weekend and everything he served was worth carting away! It was a seemingly simple but delicious menu because it was all seasoned and cooked to perfection…grilled chicken breast, pasta salad with a fresh pesto sauce and an assortment of grilled veggies: eggplant, mushrooms, zucchini, onions and eggplant.

My doggie bag included the yellow peppers, zucchini and eggplant. I also had about 6-8 tomatoes at home that were ‘just’ ripe so today I decided to slow roast them with a couple of cloves of garlic.

Time for lunch.
How about eggplant, roasted tomato and Wasa toasts spread with hummus and a squeeze of roasted garlic? Oh, yeah!

Ooh…is it dinner time already?

Well, you didn’t think I wasn’t going to insert pasta somewhere in this…did you? This started out as a spaghetti fritatta but, as kitchen mishaps go, it kind of stuck to the pan and didn’t flip well…so let’s just call it scrambled egg pasta and zucchini or something like that. The important thing is it could not have been tastier!

Recipe for fritatta (serves 2)
1-1/2 pre-grilled zucchini cut up
2 roasted garlic cloves squeezed out
3 quartered marinated artichokes chopped
handful parsley
3 eggs (you may want to add another)
4 ozs spaghetti
1/2 cup mixed shredded Italian cheese (mozzarella, fontina, parmesan, etc.)
a generous amount of grated fresh parmesan
S&P (lots of black pepper)

• Cook spaghetti and drain.
• Heat zucchini, garlic, artichokes and parsley in a little olive oil in a skillet.
• Add spaghetti.
• Add eggs and cheese and mix thoroughly.
• Cook over medium heat (or as you normally cook an omelet or fritatta).

Note: Invert on plate and turn over back into pan for finishing or put in oven.

Serve with whole roasted tomato, another sprinkle of parmesan and a grind of black pepper.

1. Jacqueline says:

Looks good even if it wouldn’t flip. Yummy looking vegetables!

2. 5 Star Foodie says:

Delicious grilled veggies! I love the idea of the grilled veggies in a fritatta.

3. Peter G says:

Lucky you!…even though the “flip” didn’t work…it still looks good!

4. My Carolina Kitchen says:

Great looking grilled vegetables. Love making a fritatta – so many things you can do to it.

I can’t wait for the day when my son can cook for me! It all looks so delicious and I agree- definitely worth taking home!

6. Peter M says:

Grilled veggies are standard fare on my grill and roasted garlic just makes it a party!

Just as you’ve done, they are great as leftovers too!

7. Ben says:

LOL sometimes food doesn’t want to cooperate when it’s time to serve it, but the important thing will always be how it tastes. Great job with this leftover food :)

8. redkathy says:

The eggplant looks superb!

9. Jeff says:

Love this time of year with all the fresh vegetables and lighter dishes popping up left and right.

Looks and sounds amazing!

10. Karen says:

I love Wasa! Haven’t had any in a long time and will have to remedy that! The grilled veggies look yummy!

11. Núria says:

My mom always gives me leftovers in her old tupperwares and it’s great because this way I don’t have to worry for my lunch :D.

I love the Menu your son made! Really healthy and delicious :D

12. ARLENE says:

Those grilled vegetables are perfection. I love a wrap with a schmear of some great cheese to “set off” all that healthiness. What a good son!